I love the sound of wind chimes blowing in the breeze. I immediately think back to summer days of running and playing on the grass. Hearing the sound of wind moving through the trees. Tinkling music coming from little pipes hanging from trees and houses.
So when I realized that I can make my own wind chimes – and easily! – I knew that I had to give it a try.
These star wind chimes were ones that I thought of when I saw these rusted star ornaments. “This could be fabulous garden art!”
And thus, these wind chimes were born.
- Rusted Tin Hanging Stars
- Rusted Metal Star Lid
- 12 mm Silver Wind Chimes (2 packages)
- Acrylic Paint (I used Turquoise)
- Outdoor Mod Podge
- Waxed Thread
- Foam Brushes
When I was gathering the materials needed for my wind chimes, I realized that I didn’t love the look of the rusted tin star next to the chrome pipes. Normally, I love a rusted finish, but the stark contrast of the two didn’t seem to work for me.
Using my foam brush, I applied two thin coats of turquoise acrylic paint onto the stars and the jar lid. The paint will go on quite streaky; one coat will be all you’re looking for a distressed look. I opted to go for two thin coats – it wasn’t complete coverage, but I liked the effect.
You can see that I separated the larger star from the smaller two stars. I knew that I wanted the large star to be the centrepiece of the wind chimes, and the smaller two would be the “paddle” hanging in between the pipes.
When the paint was fully dry, I applied two thin coats of Mod Podge Outdoor. This stuff takes longer to dry than regular Mod Podge, so have patience. It’s waterproof, which is a fabulous thing, so I figure that it’s really no trouble to wait a little bit longer for the tackiness to disappear.
Once the Mod Podge had dried, I cut about 4″ sections of the waxed cord and tied the chimes through the stars on the edge of the jar lid. Once each knot was pulled tightly, I trimmed off the excess cord.
There are 12 holes in the lid, but 8 pipes will come in two packages. I opted to skip every second hole on the lid, and use mostly the longer tubes, which left two smaller ones behind.
The longer chimes make a lower sound, which is what I prefer. You can do test-runs with your chimes to see what sounds you like the best.
In order to keep the jar lid stable, I had to tie four pieces of cord from the star cutouts on the lid to the center of the larger star. Once it was secure, I slipped a long piece of the waxed cord through the bottom “eye” at the large star in order to secure the star “paddles.”
I’m very into the colour blue right now, but this project could be completed in the colour of your choice. The acrylic paint is sealed by the Mod Podge, and should do quite well being left out in the Spring and Summer months.Google+