DIY Antique Map Wall Clock

Ciao!  It’s Morena back with another vintage looking project because, as I’ve said before, I have a craft crush on all things shabby and antique.  This time I’ll be showing you how to make a wall clock that is customized with the map of your choice.  I went with an old map of my birthplace, Pozzuoli, Italy, to give to my mother for Christmas.  Like me, she loves handmade gifts, and the personal connection with the map makes this gift extra special!

Supplies needed to make your own clock:

To make your own antique map wall clock:

Step 1:  Use epoxy to create a smooth, even surface to work on.  Mix a small amount of epoxy (I used one tablespoon of each) according to the package instructions.  Pour it into the plate and allow it to cure for 24 hours.

Step 2:  Prepare your map (I printed mine) by coating it with a layer of decoupage medium, like Mod Podge.  It’s really important to seal the paper, otherwise you will have resin stains later!

Step 3: (Not Pictured)  Use a drill to make a 3/8″ hole in the plate.

Step 4:  Use Mod Podge to adhere the map to the plate.  Seal it well with Mod Podge.  After it had dried, I sealed my paper a third time to ensure I wouldn’t develop resin stains.

Step 5:  Cut a hole in the map so you can insert the base of the clock where you had previously drilled.

Step 6:  Mix another small amount of epoxy and paint the map with it.  This will seal your project and give it a beautiful, professional finish.

Finally, assemble the clock hands by following the package instructions.  I painted the hands black to make them stand out more.  I want my clock to serve as wall art, so I chose not to add numbers.

My plan is to make one of these for each of my kids, using a map of where they were born.  My 4 kids were each born in a different city (and 3 different countries!) so there will be a lot of variety.  What city holds a special memory for you?  I’d love to hear from you in the comments!

About Morena

Morena Hockley is the crafty mind behind the tutorials at morenascorner.com. She loves to share ideas for projects that are fast, frugal, and fabulous: easy on time and money, and great to look at! Morena is a stay at home mom to four young children, and crafting is what helps her maintain her sanity. It’s a wonderful outlet and it’s how she gets her “me” time. In a past life, Morena was an elementary school teacher and an assistant principal. She misses teaching, so her blog is in a sense a virtual classroom. Make sure to swing by and check out Morena’s Corner!

Comments

1. Yvonne-Ann says

Thank you for posting this beautiful project! I live in South Africa and I am always looking for beautiful maps, but they are all very expensive. Could you please tell me where you found this gorgeous map to print?

2. JaneEllen says

Love how that clock looks, very nice accent for a wall. Lucky you getting to see so much of the world. We’ve seen lots of US and some of Canada and Mexico but not Europe. Your clock is such a great idea, I’m thinking how many other things I could make with those pans. Your project is a great inspiration.
    Kind of interesting how many names those pans have. I’ve heard them called a tart pan, now candle plate and pie plate, maybe I’m mistaking what kind of pan yours is. Almost every time I go to our local thrift store I see one or two of them. I have one already so just might have to make clock of favorite place for us, Canyon Ferry Lake, south of Helena, Mt, east of Townsend. We had 20 acres and lived there for 7 yrs. I’d go back there to live in a heart beat. Wouldn’t have our 20 acres but would be close at least. A neighbor by our 20 acres wants to sell his small place by lake to move into Helena by family.

3. Lia Kamminga says

What a great idea! I belong to a Polynesian dance school so I’m going make a few with Vintage Hawaiian Papers. Mahalo nui & Aloha!

4. Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile says

I LOVE this clock! I love maps, but this this unique. I am making it for my husbands man cave. Thank you for the idea. Visit me at memoriesbythemile and you’ll see why.
    Happy New Year’s, (new follower)
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

5. Joan says

Love, love, love it. My kids were not born in any exotic place but I am still going to do this for my son, He just bought a picture that is a map for his wall this will look great. Love it, where do you get the tin plate? Joan

6. says

Morena that is just gorgeous!!! What a creative idea using places of birth. Since each of my children were born in different states, I think that would be a great gift idea!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Trackbacks