My bedroom is painted a deep green/teal kind of color and for the longest time, I was stumped by the giant expanse of green along our headboard. I wanted to fill the space with art or photos, but it would be prohibitively expensive to do so. I made fern canvases which helped, but there was still too much empty space. So the fern canvases got a new home, and I had an idea to use inexpensive paper lanterns for a fun and whimsical wall installation. This craft would work perfectly for any home, but with the addition of candles could be the perfect wedding or event display! Join me today as I show you how to create this look with a few simple supplies and inexpensive paper lanterns!
The white pops perfectly against the green and the lanterns were the perfect cheap, quick and pretty solution. If you are working with white walls, you might try the colored lanterns for the same look in the opposite manner.
Supplies needed to make your own paper lantern wall installation:
- Paper Lanterns (I used the White Eyelet Lanterns and a variety of 12 in and 8 in white lanterns)
- Fishing Line or Clear Thread
- Clear Pushpins
- LED Tea Lights
Installation is simple and only requires a few knots.
1. Very carefully and gently open the paper lanterns and stretch with the included metal insert. Be careful! I broke several. The eyelet lanterns are particularly fragile.
2. Work with a partner to determine heights and groupings of the lanterns before hanging. Odd number groupings work best.
3. Tie fishing line to the top metal hook of the lantern.
5. Insert the clear pushpin directly into the ceiling. These lanterns are so light that a pushpin in the drywall is plenty to hold them secure (even with candles inside!)