I am always looking for unique ways to display photos in my home. This project was a good one! It cost around ten bucks to make, but looks like it came straight from a high-end boutique!
You can customize this wall hanging to incorporate the number of photos you would like.
I did five–a plaque for each of my kids.
Here are the supplies you will need to make your own wall hanging:
- Wooden Plaques (one for each photo) I used various shapes (5×7 Oval, 5×7 Designer, 5×7 Traditional, and two 5×5 rounds.) You could keep it all uniform, using one shape if you wanted.
- Acrylic Craft Paint (whatever colors you desire) I used Island Blue, Decorator’s Orange, Storm Cloud Grey, Black, and Citrus Green.
- Wood 3-D Star-7 1/2 inch
- Mod Podge
- Foam Brushes
- Stain (can use household stain, or an ink pad) (optional)
- Cheesecloth (or a clean, lint-free rag) (optional)
- Sand It Gadget and Dust Buddy
- Wide Black Ribbon
- Craft Stapler/staples
- 4×6 photos
If you sand before the paint is dry, it makes an ugly mess.
Go have a snack.
When the paint is dry, sand all the edges.
When you have all the pieces sanded, use your Dust Buddy to clean up all the sawdust on your pieces. The Dust Buddy is awesome to clean up projects with. It really grips dust particles, powders and glitter.
Using a piece of cheesecloth, or a clean rag, rub stain into the edges of the pieces.
You can use a die-cut machine, or plain old scissors and a template.
Smooth the photo down, and apply an even coat of Mod Podge over the top of the photo, and the whole plaque. This will seal your photo onto the plaque. It also gives your plaque a shiny finish, and deepens the paint color.
Lots of drying time here! You may even want to let them sit and cure overnight.
When they are completely dry, lay the pieces upside-down, and attach a long length of ribbon to the backs of the plaques and star.
I used a craft stapler for this.
Trim the ribbon to fit the length of your wall hanger.
Enjoy your new custom art!Google+